Sarah Gunn shows us this easy DIY for stencilled foam mats–ideal for the kids playroom.
Stencilled foam mats
- several foam mats
- foam rollers
- Turn the mats upside down so the smooth side is on top. Arrange the mats to create the size and shape you want. Keep them together for the entire process.
- Use a roller to add two coats of primer.
- Paint the base coat using a roller. Do two coats.
- Place stencil in the top corner and roll the paint over it. Be careful not to use too much paint. Hold or tape the stencil in place.
- Repeat using the stencil until the entire mat is covered. Touch up any ‘mistake’ spots with a small brush.
- Allow to dry and then add two coats of water based varathane.
Crafty tip: To create the road map version, follow steps 1 and 2 then sketch your design on the mats in pencil. You may want to draw the design on paper first. Paint each section and then the smaller detail. Use artists’ brushes for the fine work. Add two coats of varathane when done.
Courtesy Sarah Gunn
Join the conversation