Chef Jason Parsons’s recent trip to Dubai inspired this shrimp dish, which gets its flavour from a marinade of yogurt and spices.
Turmeric shrimp and grilled roti
20 (16/20) peeled and deveined shrimp
1/2 tsp turmeric
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
2 tbsp grapeseed oil
1/2 cup yogurt
1 whole English cucumber, peeled and seeded
1 whole red onion
1/2 bulb fennel
1/2 cup white wine vinegar
1/4 cup sugar
1 tsp caraway seeds, toasted
1 tbsp dill, roughly-chopped
12 roti, grilled
1. Mix the turmeric, ginger, chili powder, cayenne pepper, yogurt and shrimp in a bowl and leave to sit in the fridge for at least one hour.
2. While the shrimp are marinating, pour the vinegar, caraway seeds and sugar into a pot, and warm until the sugar dissolves.
3. In a bowl, very thinly slice the cucumber, fennel and red onion.
4. Once the sugar has dissolved in the vinegar, add the chopped dill and then pour over the shaved cucumber, fennel and red onion. Toss to evenly mix and then leave to cool.
5. Once cool, season with salt, pepper and set aside.
6. In a frying pan, heat the grapeseed oil over medium to high heat.
7. Remove the shrimp from the yogurt and saute over medium to high heat for approximately 3 minutes.
8. Remove from the pan and serve immediately with the grilled roti and pickled cucumber slaw.
Join the conversation