Washer and Dryer
- Front load washers should be wiped down after each use and the door left open, but it can still get dirty over time. You can run a regular load with water, vinegar and baking soda, or use these pucks to eliminate odours and clean the inside of the washing machine.
- Dryer vents should be cleaned after each cycle. Dryer vents can get clogged though, so make sure to check them regularly. This vacuum attachment is great for getting down the vent to give it a good clean.
- Vacuum your mattress, they are home to dead cells and dust which can irritate your sleep
- Flip your mattress if you can
- If it’s a pillow-top, rotate it instead
- Take this opportunity to vacuum under your bed…it gets really dusty under there this is also a good time to rotate your rug!
Curtains and Blinds
- Drapes and curtains can be cleaned using a vacuum if you feel they need a wash, read the instructions carefully, some will be dry clean only
- Dust them frequently…this tool makes it easy. If they are really dirty, you can give them a soak in the tub in water mixed with dish soap. Wipe with a soft cloth. Rinse in the shower and hang to dry.
- I like to have cushions with a removable cover because it makes them easier to clean. Some cushions say you can wash them and it works well, but with less expensive cushions, the stuffing can get clumpy. Instead, spot clean and, when weather is nice enough, set them outside to air out.
- You may vacuum your rug all the time, but dirt and dust sneaks under if you can, roll it up and hang it outside and bang it if you can’t roll it up and vacuum the floor under it, and flip the rug and vacuum the under side of it
Garbage and Recycling Bins
- Even if you use bags, they can be gross, clean inside and out (including the inside of the lid using disinfectant wipes you can also use a mixture of vinegar and water
- Wipe down all of your cleaning tools, including dust pans, brooms, handles and all. I like to use wipes for this but you can use soap and water take apart your vacuum and give it a clean, remove hair (yuck) from bristles and clean out holding tank.
Join the conversation