Since we’re at home with time on our hands, why not do a deep dive into laundry? One of the most popular home hacks that has made a resurgence is laundry stripping, which is a method of washing linens that removes residue from detergents, fabric softener, body oils and minerals from hard water. It’s great for people using natural detergents because they can leave more residue. It works well for laundry that has a bit of an odour and for towels that are feeling less absorbent.
- Fill the bathtub or large container with very hot water.
- Pour in borax, soda and detergent in a 1/ ½ ratio…for a full tub ¼ cup and ½ cup.
- Stir and dissolve.
- Add freshly washed linens (either wet or dry).
- Leave in for several hours (until water cools), stirring occasionally.
- Remove, wash on a rinse cycle and dry.
- Avoid laundry stripping delicate items that can’t be soaked in hot water.
- Do not mix colours because there is a possibility colours can run.
- Try washing linens with less detergent to prevent build up in the first place.
Join the conversation