When you’re pregnant it can be hard to find clothes that fit AND look good. Here are some helpful tips to dress your baby bump for every occasion.
Maternity fashion can often be kind of “matronly” and one-note. What I recommend is finding non-maternity pieces that work over the bump and can be worn again post-pregnancy. It’s about finding the right cut and pieces that stretch and form to your body or going a little oversized. And when in need of a one-time wear item, renting is always an amazing solution.
Look 1: Day time/everyday look
- A comfy shift dress.
- You can easily wear this over the bump, and it’s something you can wear post-pregnancy as well.
- It’s about comfort without forgoing style.
Look 2: Work
- For work, you still want to look professional, polished and put together.
- Stretchy sweater dress or oversized collared shirt dress.
- What is key here is to go a size up when buying clothes for maternity to accommodate the bump.
- You can also do a flowy floral dress
Look 3: Brunch or dinner
- This dress has stretch in the bodice to accommodate the bump. Can also grow with it.
- I love this one as you can wear it day to night (slip it to off-the-shoulder for the evening)
Look 4: Wedding guest
- Anything fitted in the top and then flows out under the bump works great.
- Renting a dress is really an incredible solution for maternity wear as you will truly only wear the garment once.
- For dressier occasions like this, you really don’t need to be buying these kinds of formal garments and having them sit wastefully in your closet collecting dust, especially when your body is changing both during and after pregnancy.
- This dress could work for a more casual wedding or something like a baby shower
Look 5: Formal occasions
- If you are invited to a super formal occasion like a black-tie wedding or formal affair you can rent a formal gown.
- Show off the bump with a fitted dress.
- Something like this would look amazing on as we get into colder weather and if you want more arm coverage (still has a leg slit though for a little leg moment):
Join the conversation