I recently received an e-mail from a Cityline viewer worried that she was “overdoing it” on her summer vacation. From BBQs to summer drinks and ice cream, temptations and treats were everywhere! Like so many of us, she felt that summer was actually a harder time to keep her weight off vs. any other season (I could not agree more!).
With our summer season being so short, I am a big advocate of enjoying all the tasty foods summer has to offer. However, whether at the cottage or away on vacation, there are definite ways to indulge without suffering the side effects of any extra bulge.
My top 5 summertime tips for health, weight loss and weight maintenance include:
1. Enjoy naturally sweet low-calorie foods such as watermelon, blueberries, strawberries or mangos. Whether in a smoothie (see recipe below), a popsicle or eaten fresh, there is no better way to curb your sweet tooth.
2. BBQ it up! Almost any and all vegetables can be thrown onto the BBQ and enjoyed. Broccoli, sweet potatoes, red peppers, onions and corn all make for delicious low-calorie “fill me up” foods that make you feel like you are getting the best of summer.
3. Experiment with your burgers. Instead of picking a red meat burger each time, switch it up by opting for a salmon burger (high in omega-3 heart-healthy fats), chicken burger or veggie burger. Use a whole grain bun and top with your favorite condiments to enjoy!
4. Pick your pleasure. I admit it: I am a nacho fan. I can’t help it really — ordering a plate of nachos on a patio is complete heaven to me in the summer. Instead of missing out on the fun, a few times each summer I dive in and enjoy my plate of nachos or other treats such as ice cream or some fun summer drinks. Instead of feeling deprived and like you are missing out, strive to strike some balance. In other words, follow the 80-20 rule of eating. Eat clean 80 percent of the time and allow yourself to “fall off the health wagon” and enjoy 20 percent of the time.
5. Stay hydrated all day long! One of the best ways to keep your tummy flat and to not overeat is to ensure you are drinking your 8-10 cups of water per day. Whether it is iced herbal tea or water with lemon….it all counts!
Dr. Joey’s summertime super smoothie!
- 1/2 cup of unsweetened almond milk
- 4 tbsp of vanilla Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup spinach
- 1/2 frozen banana
- 1/2 cup frozen strawberries
- 1/4 cup frozen mango
- 1 tbsp ground flaxseeds
Combine all ingredients in blender and blend on high for 2 minutes.
Strawberry watermelon popsicles
- 2 cups of strawberries
- 1 cup of watermelon (seedless)
- 1 tbsp of lime juice (optional)
Place watermelon and strawberries together in a blender. If you wish to “pump” up sweetness, feel free to chop up 2 dates and add. Blend on high, pour into popsicle makers and freeze for 3-4 hours and enjoy!
Join the conversation
What do you think?
Thanks! I followed the weight loss challenge for 6 weeks (February & March) and lost 10 lbs and 8 inches! I am keeping the weight& inches off by modifying the weight loss plan and following the 80-20 practice. I’m enjoying all kinds of delicious and nutritous food and the occasional special treat!
I discovered your weight loss challenge when it was almost finished and I was thrilled to find something that suited me so totally. I lost 14 pounds and I feel fabulous. I have so much energy and every day I love to see my slim body in new clothes. I find that plan very easy to follow and I agree that the 80/20 plan is a great way to approach eating. I purchased your book and that gave me so many more delicious recipies. I don’t think I’ve made one dish that I haven’t loved. Have you ever considered just a recipe book. I would purchase one in a minute.
What a wonderful comment, thanks Jennifer! We forwarded this along to Dr. Joey, as we’re sure she’ll love the comment as well. All the best!
Hide the conversation