Impress your guests with this delicious classy French onion cheese fondue! Chef Matt Dean Pettit teaches us how to make this quick dish that gets you coming back for more.
- 2 tbsp Salted Butter
- 1 Yellow onion finely sliced
- 1 tsp Sugar
- 1 tsp Baking soda
- 1 tbsp Thyme
- 1/2 cup Beef stock
- 1 cup Gruyere cheese grated
- 1 cup Aged cheddar cheese grated
- 1 cup Smoked Gouda keep half back to garnish
- 1/2 cup White wine
- 1 Sourdough loaf inside carved out cut into cubes, fill inside with fondue
- Pickles & crackers
- In a medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat.
- Add the onions and cook until soft, approx 5 minutes.
- Add the sugar and baking soda.
- Add the stock, deglaze the pan and let simmer on a medium heat for a few minutes.
- Slowly add the cheeses and keep stirring.
- Add the white wine, keep stirring.
- Add the fondue mixture into the centre of the sourdough bread bowl.
- Garnish with sourdough cubes, sprinkle remainder of smoked Gouda and place under the broiler on high in the oven for 2-3 mins until golden brown.
- Dip with crackers, pickles and remaining bread cubes!
Join the conversation