Everyone loves a great bagel with the right toppings. Expert and chef Randy Feltis teaches us how to make our favourite bagels at home!
For the poaching water
For the toppings
- Serves 8-10
- Prep time 1 hour
- Overnight resting
- Bake time 18 minutes
- Prepare the dough: In a mixer with a dough hook combine the maple syrup, yeast, and water, and proof for 5 minutes or until foamy.
- Add the flour, salt, and the yeast mixture.
- Mix on medium-low speed for 5 to 7 minutes, until the dough is well-formed around the hook.
- If the dough is very dry after 3 minutes, add 1 tablespoon of water.
- Cover with plastic wrap and set aside in a warm spot for 60 to 90 minutes, until the dough has almost doubled.
- Divide into 8 balls, 110g to 130 g.
- Take each dough ball and roll it into a rope about 9 inches long. Roll around your hand to form a bagel.
- Place each finished piece onto a baking sheet with parchment, cover, and refrigerate overnight.
The following day….
- Remove the pans from the fridge and let sit at room temp for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 450°F
- In a large pot, bring two quarts of water to a boil with the maple syrup, baking soda, and salt.
- Boil 3 bagels at a time for 1 minute per side. Transfer the bagels back to the baking sheet, flipping them over so the smooth side is on top. Repeat with remaining bagels
- Sprinkle both sides with your choice of toppings and bake for 14 to 18 minutes or until lightly golden brown.
Join the conversation