With Valentine’s Day right around the corner, we’re all in need of something a little sweet. This simple yet scrumptious recipe for a boxed chocolate cake topped with fruit and a silky smooth ganache, courtesy of baker Jyoti Nanra, is bound to hit that sweet spot. Using half boxed and half fresh ingredients, not only is it affordable, but it’s also the perfect dessert to prepare with your Valentine—or anyone else with a sweet tooth!
Dark chocolate ganache
- berries of your choice
- Preheat oven to 325 F. Spray and line 2 8” pans OR 3 6” pans.
- In a bowl, sift together chocolate cake mix, cocoa, pudding mix, and pinch salt. Whisk together and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, whisk up sour cream, eggs, yolk, vanilla, and oil.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry, and then pour in the coffee.
- Whisk together until a smooth batter forms.
- Divide between cake pans and bake for 35-40 minutes, or until toothpick comes out mostly clean.
- Cool cakes, flip onto parchment, and wrap with cling film.
- Once fully room temp, freeze for 3-4 hours for easy assembly.
Dark chocolate ganache:
- In a heat proof bowl, combine dark chocolate and salt.
- Heat cream until it simmers, and pour over the dark chocolate.
- Whisk together until a silky smooth ganache forms.
- Transfer to a container and let set at room temp for 4-5 hours or until pipeable.
- Place a dollop of ganache on cake board and place first layer of cake down.
- Pipe ganache into cake and smooth with an offset spatula.
- Place second layer of cake on top of smoothed ganache, and add another thick layer of ganache. Top with fruit of choice – I will be using berries and cherries.
- Let it set in the fridge for 15-20 minutes, and serve.
Join the conversation