Who doesn’t love sponge cake? Here’s the go-to recipe for a gluten free delicacy.
- 1/4 cup avocado oil
- 1/3 cup water
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup cane sugar
- 2 tbsp cane sugar keep separate
- 1/2 cup tapioca flour
- 1/4 cup millet flour
- 1/3 cup oat flour
- 1 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 5 large egg whites room temperature
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- Preheat oven to 325ºF and both grease and line an 8 ½ x 12-inch cake tin. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the oil, water, egg yolks, and the ½ cup cane sugar, set aside.
- In a medium bowl add the tapioca, millet and oat flour along with the baking powder and salt. Whisk together and add to the yolk mixture. Using hand blender, blend all ingredients together until very smooth. Set aside.
- Using the bowl of stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, whip the egg whites with the cream of tartar on high speed until soft peaks form. Then add in the remaining, 2 Tbsp of cane sugar and whip until the whites are glossy and form firm peaks.
- Using a spatula, fold the whipped egg whites into the batter, a third of a mixture at a time, until just combined and no streaks remain.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan, and spread it out evenly.
- Bake for 25minutes, it should feel very soft when done but gently spring back when you touch it. Then cool completely in the pan.
Join the conversation
What do you think?
Hide the conversation