This beautiful, aromatic, and colourful orange olive oil cake is the perfect spring treat — and it’s packed with sweet citrus flavours!
Baker Jyoti Nanra shows how to make this delicious cake in just a few steps. It looks as good as it tastes, and your social media feed won’t be able to get enough. Grab your pan and get baking!
- 240 ml olive oil
- 250g all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp ground cardamom
- 300g white sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 tbsp orange zest
- 45 ml orange juice
- 250 g whole milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3-4 blood oranges/oranges sliced thinly
- 50 ml blood orange juice
- 70 g sugar
- Line an 8” x 8” square pan with parchment and preheat oven to 350 F.
- Create a mix with the orange juice and 70g of sugar, and pour into prepped pan. Spread evenly. Arrange the orange slices at the bottom of the pan with slight but minimal overlap. Cut slices to fit the edges.
- Whisk together the eggs, vanilla, and remaining sugar until lightened and pale.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and cardamom.
- When the egg mixture has lightened up, slowly pour in olive oil and mix until fully incorporated.
- Add in the orange zest, orange juice, and milk.
- Switch oven to a paddle attachment or use a spatula here – add the dry ingredients in 2-3 additions. Once combined and smooth, carefully pour over arranged orange slices.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool the cake for 20-25 minutes. Place a wire rack above the pan when ready to unmold. Flip over and release from pan. Carefully peel the parchment away.
- Let cake come to room temperature and serve.
Join the conversation
What do you think?
Hide the conversation