Get ready… because this is a great recipe for entertaining — it’s a proven crowd-pleaser. If you have day old/leftover bread, it’s the perfect ingredient for creating this delicious dessert. Chef Devan Rajkumar teaches us how to take that challah bread (that has been sitting in your cupboards for too long) and create a spiced pudding with vanilla salted caramel. We assure you — it’s as good as it sounds.
Prep Time: 5 min | Cook Time: 45 min| Serve: 6-8
- Brush inside of baking dish (9 x 13 baking dish) with butter, then evenly distribute cubed bread throughout.
- In a large bowl combine eggs, brown sugar, milk, cinnamon, cardamom, clove, nutmeg, orange zest and salt.
- Whisk well and pour over bread. Allow bread to soak for 10 minutes.
- Pre-heat oven to 375F.
- In a large saucepan on medium low-heat add sugar. Once sugar begins to melt around the edges gently fold the mixture using a heat proof spatula or wooden spoon. The mixture will begin to turn golden brown.
- Once the colour darkens to amber remove from heat and carefully add cream and butter, mix ingredients to combine then add vanilla and salt. Set aside.
- Bake bread pudding for 45 minutes and allow to cool for 10-15 minutes before topping with caramel and serving.
Join the conversation