We had baking expert Jyoti Nanra come in and teach Tracy how to frost a cake – do you think you can top her final product?
Here’s everything you need to give it a try – from Jyoti’s expert tips to this easy Swiss Meringue Buttercream recipe:
- Wipe your mixer bowl and whisk attachment with vinegar to eliminate any grease/oil.
- Prepare your bain-marie by filling a saucepan with water and placing it on a stove top. Let water come to a rolling boil.
- Place your bowl with your sugar mixture on top of the saucepan and immediately start mixing it with your whisk attachment or your whisk.
- As the mixture heats, it will start forming bubbles and get foamy. Once your sugar and egg whites have formed a sort of syrup, you are ready to take it off the heat. Mixture should be warm to the touch and sugar should not feel granular at all.
- Attach bowl onto stand mixer, and start beating with the whisk attachment. You want to beat at medium- high speed.
- Whip meringue for 5-6 minutes or until a stable meringue is formed with soft peaks. To ensure it has cooled down, feel the outside of your bowl. It should not be warm.
- Turning your mixer on low, start adding the butter piece by piece. Let it gently incorporate after each add. Once the full amount has been added, let it whip out until it becomes pale, light, and fluffy.
- At this time, add the vanilla extract and just whip it until it combines.
Join the conversation