- 1/2 recipe cold Risotto Milanese
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 ounce dried mushrooms
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1/2 finely chopped, small onion
- 3 to 4 ounces ground pork
- 1 ounce diced prosciutto
- Pinch dried oregano
- freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 (14-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 to 2 tbsp chicken stock
- 1 tbsp chopped, fresh parsley
- 1 jar Stefano Faita Marinara sauce
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups bread crumbs
- freshly ground pepper and salt
- 2 to 3 ounces cut into 1/2-inch cubes mozzarella
- as needed, for frying vegetable oil
- Add cold leftover risotto to a bowl. Add egg and Parmesan cheese and stir to combine. Set aside. (Keep mixture cold so it is easier to work with.)
- Soak dried mushrooms in hot water for 20 minutes. Strain, reserving mushroom liquid. Finely chop the rehydrated mushrooms.
- Heat butter in a skillet over medium low heat. Add onion and cook, until soft, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Increase heat to medium high, add pork, prosciutto and chopped dried mushrooms. Cook, stirring occasionally, until meat is golden brown, about 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add oregano and season with salt and pepper. Add the diced tomatoes, chicken stock and a few tbsp. of the reserved mushroom liquid. Cook until the liquid is evaporated, about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Stir in chopped parsley. Let cool completely.
- Set up a bread station: Add flour to the first bowl, beat eggs in the second and mix bread crumbs and salt and pepper in the third. Set aside.
- Using your hands, take about 1/4 cup of rice mixture (a little bigger than the size of an egg) and form into a ball. Using your fingers, hollow out the centre to create a space for the meat filling and the cheese.
- Fill the centre of the rice ball with meat filling and then a mozzarella cube. Cover the filling with rice and roll into a ball. Repeat. Makes about 10 rice balls.
- Dredge rice balls first in flour, then beaten eggs and lastly, roll in bread crumbs.
- Meanwhile, in deep fryer or deep saucepan, pour enough oil to come about 3 to 4-inches up sides of pan. Heat to 365 degrees F. to 375 degrees F. over medium heat.
- In batches, carefully add rice balls into hot oil. Fry until golden brown, about 3 minutes.
- Transfer to paper towels to remove excess oil. Let rest for a few minutes. Serve with Marinara Sauce.
Join the conversation
What do you think?
Hide the conversation