- 1 fennel root bulb trimmed, rinsed and cut into 1/4" slices
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp butter
- 5 cloves garlic coarsely chopped
- 7 strips fully cooked, low sodium bacon cut into 1/2" pieces
- 1 can Italian stewed tomatoes
- 1/4 tsp fresh ground pepper
- 1/2 tsp hot chili flakes
- 3 1/2 cups penne
- 8 croutons crushed
- grated parmesan cheese optional
- Heat a large nonstick frying pan over medium heat. Add oil, butter and fennel, garlic and bacon to pan. Cook until fennel is just soft. Add tomatoes with liquid and spices. Reduce heat to a low simmer and cook uncovered, stirring occasionally.
- Cook pasta according to package directions, approximately 11 minutes.
- Drain pasta and rinse under hot water in colander. Return to pasta pot and toss in a small amount of olive oil if you wish.
To assemble: On each plate, place noodles, top with sauce and sprinkle with crushed croutons. A sprinkle of Parmesan and a few feathery fennel sprigs looks and tastes great too!
Join the conversation