Shawarma Spice Mix
- Combine shawarma spice ingredients in a mortar and pestle and grind until fine.
- In a large freezer bag or medium bowl, combine chicken with spice mix, lemon juice garlic, olive oil and salt. Make sure chicken is evenly coated in marinate, cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes to 24 hours.
- Preheat barbecue to medium.
- Stir together tahini sauce and set aside. Have the pita, prepared parsley, tomatoes, onion, pickles and hot sauce ready and standing by.
- Barbecue chicken for about 4 minutes on each side, or until nicely charred with an internal temperature of 170 F.
- Once chicken is off the barbecue, set aside for a minute and warm the pitas for 30 seconds. Then slice the chicken, open the pitas, and fill with chicken, slices of onion, tomatoes, pickle, parsley, and a good drizzle of tahini sauce, and hot sauce. Roll up and enjoy!
Note: you may also buy shawarma spice mix at the grocery store and use about 5 tbsp of it
- Slice pickles lengthwise into four spears.
- In a small saucepan, bring vinegar, water, salt and sugar to a boil.
- Place prepared cucumbers in a non-reactive bowl and pour hot vinegar mixture overtop. Add chopped dill. Let cool on the counter for an hour then put in fridge to chill. Pickles will keep for about one week (although they’re so good, they probably won’t last the day.)
Join the conversation