- 2 medium large sweet potatoes
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 2 diced onions
- 6 minced cloves garlic
- 1 (8 oz.) package wiped clean and cut into quarters cremini mushrooms
- 2 tsp dried thyme leaves
- ½ tsp dried ground sage
- ¼ tsp table salt
- ¼ tsp freshly cracked coarse black pepper
- 1 cup rinsed and well drained, whole dried green lentils
- ¼ cup rinsed and well drained black or red quinoa
- 2 ¾ cups no salt added vegetable broth
- Scrub sweet potatoes well, cut each one into quarters lengthwise and then slice each quarter into 1-inch thick pieces, set aside.
- Heat a 3 ½ qt. saucepan over medium heat. Add oil and onions, sauté for 4-6 minutes or until the onions are starting to turn a medium golden colour, add garlic and sauté for 1 minute. Add mushrooms, sauté for 3-4 minutes or until the mushrooms are starting to soften. Sprinkle in thyme, sage, salt and pepper. Stir to coat.
- Add sweet potatoes, lentils and quinoa. Stir in well. Pour in vegetable broth, bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat to medium low and gently boil for 40-45 minutes, or until the lentils are soft and the quinoa is translucent.
- Remove from heat, gently stir, cover and let sit for 10 minutes. Serve.
Makes 8 cups
One serving = 1 ½ cups
Per Serving: 302 Calories, 6.5 g Total Fat, 0.5 g Saturated Fat, 0 g Trans Fat, 0 mg Cholesterol, 143 mg Sodium, 50.4 g Carbohydrate, 7.8 g Fibre, 8.5 g Sugars, 0 g Added Sugars, 15.4 g Protein, 671 mg Potassium
Carbohydrate Choice = 3 choices
Quinoa comes in golden, red, black and mixed. I like the way the red quinoa looks in this dish, but its your call.
Join the conversation
What do you think?
Very hearty! Love it!
Hide the conversation