This galette screams Mediterranean summer with fresh basil, local tomatoes and zucchini. The crust is totally gluten-free, which surprises most people because it has such a wonderful texture. It’s also quite filling, because the main ingredient in the crust is almond flour, which is full of good fat and protein. So even though it doesn’t seem like much to serve four people, if you serve this with a big salad, you’ve got a satisfying dinner for four.
- Make the Crust In a food processor, combine the almond flour, tapioca starch, rosemary, garlic powder, sea salt and butter. Pulse until the mixture is the texture of coarse meal.
- Add 1 egg and pulse just until the dough comes together in small chunks. Scrape the dough out onto a work surface and shape into a ball. Flatten into a 5-inch (12 cm) disc, wrap with plastic wrap and chill in the fridge for at least 1 hour or in the freezer for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the Filling Heat the olive oil in a medium frying pan over medium heat. Add the red onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are soft, 4 to 5 minutes. Add the zucchini and cook, stirring occasionally, for another 5 minutes, or until the zucchini is soft. Remove from the heat and let cool.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Assemble the Galette On a floured sheet of parchment paper and using a rolling pin sprinkled with flour, roll out the dough into a 10-inch (25 cm) circle. It’s okay if it’s not perfectly shaped. Slide the pastry, on the parchment paper, onto a baking sheet.
- Spread the filling in the centre of the dough, stopping 2 to 2½ inches (5 to 6 cm) from the edge. Scatter the tomatoes, olives and goat cheese evenly over the filling. Fold the dough border up over the sides, overlapping in pleats here and there. Don’t worry if the dough cracks as you fold it. Just press the dough with your fingers to seal the crack. It doesn’t have to look perfect.
- In a small bowl, whisk the remaining egg. Brush the folded-over dough with the egg wash for a golden top edge. Sprinkle the galette with sea salt and pepper to taste. Bake for 35 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown. Let stand for 5 minutes, then garnish with basil, slice and serve. Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Join the conversation