Are you looking for a way to incorporate the season of fall into your food? Well Chef Massimo Capra knows the recipe for a delicious squash, kale and apple orzo that will have your guests raving for more.
- 1 lb Orzo pasta
- 1/2 White onion finely chopped
- 1 tbsp Olive oil
- 1 tbsp Butter
- 4 oz White wine
- 5 cups Chicken stock (or vegetable stock)
- 2 cups Cavolo nero (tuscan kale) finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups Butternut squash diced (1/2 inch size)
- 2 Grannie smith apples diced (1/4 inch size) and kept in warm water
- 1 cup Grated padano cheese
- 1/2 cup Toasted walnut chopped
- Using a heavy bottom pot sweat the onion and the squash in a little oil until golden and the squash is cooked and breaking up, add the Orzo then add the wine, let evaporate well and add two ladle-full of stock. Simmer gently, stirring on occasion so as to prevent sticking.
- About halfway through the cooking add the kale and stir well, add more stock if needed.
- It will take about ten minutes for this to cook.
- When the orzo is cooked turn the fire off and add some butter and the cheese.
- Stir well and spoon on individual plates then top with the raw apples and a sprinkle of walnuts, and serve immediately.
This recipe should look and eat like a risotto. Buon appetito!
Join the conversation