These mouthwatering stuffed peppers are so easy to make and can’t get any better when it’s done with a slow cooker! Courtesy of our professional home economist Mairlyn Smith, we have a simple recipe that is perfect for pairing with the chilli of your choice. Don’t have one? Check out Mairlyn’s spicy slow cooker chilli!
- 3-6 cups your favourite chilli or Mairlyn's spicy slow cooker chilli
- 1 cup cooked whole grain or quinoa leftover is even better
- 4 large bell peppers cut in half
- 1 packed cup Monterey Jack cheese (plain or jalapeño) grated
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Line a 9×13 inch casserole pan with wet parchment paper.
- Slice the peppers in half lengthwise through the stem. Remove seeds and membrane and discard.
- You now have two choices:
A. Boil 12 cups of water in a large pot and cook the pepper halves for 5 minutes. Carefully drain and place into prepared pan
B. Place cut sides down into a microwavable dish, add ¼ cup water, and microwave on High for 5-8 minutes or until the peppers are slightly softened.
- While the peppers are cooling down from whichever method you chose, stir together the chili and the whole grain or quinoa in a large bowl.
- Scoop out ½ cup of the mixture and place into each pepper half. Cover with a piece of wet parchment paper and bake for 35 minutes.
- Remove cover and sprinkle the peppers with cheese. Return to oven and bake for 10 minutes or until the cheese has melted. Serve.
Join the conversation
What do you think?
Hide the conversation