24 hrs 15 min
- 2 cups dried chickpeas soaked overnight and up to 24 hours
- 1 cup parsley leaves
- ½ cup cilantro leaves
- ¼ cup mint leaves
- ½ cup white onion roughly chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds toasted
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 ½ tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- oil for frying
- Rinse and pat chickpeas dry and add to a food processor with all ingredients except sesame seeds, baking soda and baking powder.
- Blend until all incorporated, for approximately 30 seconds.
- Transfer to a dish and then place in fridge to cool for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile make pickling liquid by adding all the ingredients except cucumber into a pot and bring to a simmer to dissolve the sugar.
- Cool mixture and add sliced cucumber. The hotter the mixture the faster it will pickle, use your discretion.
- For the lemon vinaigrette gather all ingredients in a mixing bowl except oil and combine well.
- Slowly drizzle in oil while aggressively whisking to emulsify, set aside until needed.
- Combine all ingredients for smoked tahini and set aside until needed.
- Remove falafel mix from the fridge and use a spoon to fold in the baking powder, baking soda and sesame seeds.
- Form desired shape of falafel and rest on a tray.
- Using a large pan on medium heat fill with oil ¾ inch.
- Sear falafel until golden brown on both sides and remove to a tray lined with a paper towel to remove excess oil. Plate salad as desired.
Join the conversation