- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil chopped (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh-ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons wine vinegar
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 8 ounces halloumi sliced 1/4 inches thick
- 2 cups romaine lettuce
- 2 tomatoes large, sliced
- 1 lemon cut into wedges
- 4 crusty bread rolls split
Vegetables (4 pieces per sandwich)
Basil Pesto Mayo (5 tbsp)
- Preheat your grill or grill pan to medium-high heat. In a large bowl, combine the oregano, the basil, if using, the salt, black pepper, vinegar, and oil. Add the bell peppers, eggplant, zucchini, bell peppers, and red onion and stir to coat.
- Grill the vegetables in batches, turning once, until lightly browned and tender, 10 to 15 minutes per batch.
- On the same lightly oiled grill or grill pan, grill the bread until you can see grill marks (about 2-3 minutes) and set aside.
- Grill the halloumi on both sides until nice grill marks form (about 2-3 minutes per side). Squeeze some fresh lemon juice on the halloumi.
- Assemble the sandwiches. Coat one piece of the bread with pesto mayo. Add Halloumi, then roasted vegetables, tomato and lettuce. Coat the second piece of bread with pesto mayo and place it on top of the sandwich. Serve and enjoy.
Join the conversation