This roasted red cabbage salad will elevate your next camping trip or summer barbecue!
Caramelized oranges, roasted cabbage, feta, hazelnuts, and butter come together to make this decadent salad. Easy to prepare ahead of time, these ingredients can pack into tinfoil and lasts 3-4 days in a cooler until it’s ready to roast. Simply place all ingredients into tinfoil, roast it on the grill, unwrap and enjoy! Courtesy of food writer and Top Chef Canada judge Chris Nuttall-Smith.
Toast and Chop the Nuts
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Spread the hazelnuts on a rimmed baking sheet and toast in the oven until they’re deep brown and fragrant, 10 to 15 minutes. Rub away and discard any loose skins.
- Let the hazelnuts cool, then coarsely chop or crush, seal in a small aluminum foil packet, and freeze.
Prep, Dress, and Seal the Cabbage Mix
- In a large bowl, combine the cabbage, salt, vinegar, honey, and raisins and toss well.
- Cut a double layer of heavy-duty foil that measures 20 inches long.
- Place the orange rounds so they run lengthwise down the middle of the foil, stopping 2 inches shy of either end. Distribute the cabbage mixture over the top, then dot it evenly with the butter pieces. Gather the long edges of the foil together, folding them over each other two or three times to form a tight seal. Seal both ends of the packet in the same way. Pack into a resealable bag or leakproof container and refrigerate.
Roast the Cabbage, Warm the Nuts, and Serve
- Place a grill over medium-hot coals with direct and indirect zones.
- Roast the cabbage, shuttling the packet between direct and indirect heat and turning as needed to maintain a gentle sizzling sound. When the cabbage feels very soft through the foil, 25 to 40 minutes, cut open the top of the packet so you can see inside.
- Finish over direct heat, using tongs to stir occasionally and monitoring the mixture closely, until the cabbage is glazed in buttery juices, has a few darker caramelized bits, and the oranges are deeply colored, 5 to 10 minutes. During the final few minutes of roasting, place the packet of hazelnuts on the grill to warm.
- Transfer the cabbage mixture to a large bowl or platter. Top with the feta and hazelnuts, season with salt, and add a good squeeze of lemon juice (don’t be shy—it makes this dish!) before serving.
Keeps: 3 days, kept cold
Join the conversation