Charred Green Onion with Romesco Sauce
- Heat a non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat. Add 1 tbsp oil, then onion, stirring often, until browned, about 4-5 minutes. Add to a food processor. Return same pan to heat. Add 1 tbsp oil, then bread and almonds. Toast until golden, about 2 minutes, then scrape into food processor. Add drained red peppers, water, vinegar, salt and chili flakes to food processor. Blend to combine, then with the machine running, drizzle in final 1 tbsp oil through the spout, until sauce is smooth. Makes approximately 1 ½ cups. Refrigerate for an hour before using.
- Heat grill to medium-high (approximately 400 degrees). Drizzle four bunches with 2 tbsp olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Line them up so that all stems are at the same end, and grill for 4-5 minutes, flipping once, until all sides are well charred. Remove, wrap tightly in newspaper and set aside to steam for 15 minutes.
- Bring pile of steamed green onions to the table and let guests peel back and discard char, or eat it as is, if they please. Then dip in sauce and enjoy.
- Rinse and dry chives and finely chop.
- Spread bread with a nice even layer of butter, then sprinkle with a full shag carpet of chives. Add a pinch of salt if not using salted butter. Enjoy!
Join the conversation