Go crazy for coconuts!
Eat clean day #17 – Coconut is a natural low-carbohydrate, high fiber fruit and is helpful for metabolism boosting!
Eat clean action step:
Coconut oil is a medium chain triglyceride, which helps to promote fat loss and boosts metabolism. For a delicious natural latte, blend 1 tsp of coconut oil into your daily brewed coffee with a small amount of organic milk.
Coconuts are chock full of nutritious goodness. One cup of shredded coconut has 7g of dietary fiber and only 5 g of sugar, making it a great, low sugar option for cooking and baking.
There are a variety of coconut-derived ingredients that can be used, such as coconut flour, coconut milk, coconut water and coconut oil. Here is the need to know on all coconut products:
- Coconut milk – opt for low fat coconut milk to save on calories and fat. Coconut milk is great for curry recipes or to add to soups for thickening.
- Coconut water – naturally sweet and rich in electrolytes, purchase coconut water without any extra-added sugars. Coconut water can be used in your morning smoothie instead of milk.
- Coconut flour – Low on the glycemic index and gluten free – coconut flour is a perfect flour to bake with.
- Coconut oil – Coconut oil is an excellent oil to cook with as it has a high temperature cooking point and will not go rancid at high heats. Solid at room temperature, coconut oil can also be used as a natural moisturizer or conditioner for your hair.
- Coconut sugar – Coconut sugar is a low glycemic sugar alternative that can be used in coffee, baking and as a substitute for white sugar.
Photo by Roberto Caruso
Join the conversation