- 2 soft corn tortillas
- ½ cup shredded iceberg lettuce
- 2 x 25 g piece basa fillet about 1-inch in width
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 2 teaspoons oyster sauce
- 2 tbsp tempura batter mix
- 2 tbsp cold water
- 1 L canola oil for frying
- 30 g julienned mango
- 20 g julienned red bell pepper
- 20 g shredded purple cabbage
- 1 tablespoon cilantro cut 1-inch lengthwise
- 3 slices pickled red serrano chilli
- 2 tablespoons Sriracha crema
- 1 tbsp Tamarind-Plum-Garlic sauce
- 1 lime
- 2 x 6-inch bamboo paddle/flat skewers
- Cut the lime in half. Set 1 half aside. Cut the other half into wedges and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the mango, bell pepper, and purple cabbage. Set aside.
- In a separate medium bowl, add the iceberg lettuce and squeeze in juice of ½ a lime. Toss to combine and set aside.
- In a medium cast-iron pot (preferably a Dutch oven), heat the oil over high heat until it reaches 350°F.
- While the oil heats up, prepare your fish. Place the panko breadcrumbs on a large plate.
- Pat the fish fillets dry with a paper towel. Use a bamboo skewer to skewer through the center of the fish—this ensures that the fish does not curl up while frying.
- Rub each fillet with 1 teaspoon oyster sauce. Lightly sprinkle 1 tablespoon tempura mix and 1
tablespoon cold water on each fillet all over. Take 1 fillet and place on top of the panko breadcrumbs. With the help of a spoon, cover the fillet with breadcrumbs, lightly patting the filet to ensure the breadcrumbs stick. Repeat with the 2nd fillet.
- Once the oil has reached 350°F, carefully lower the fillets into the pot and fry for about 2–3 minutes, until golden brown. Remove from oil and place on a wire rack or a paper towel-lined plate.
- Heat a medium cast-iron or nonstick pan over medium-high heat. Once hot, place each tortilla into the dry pan and warm for about 20–30 seconds on each side.
To assemble tacos:
Arrange the warmed tortillas on a plate, using the lime wedges to help prop them up. Divide the shredded iceberg lettuce between the tortillas. Place 1 piece of fish on top of each tortilla. Top with the mango slaw. Drizzle on the Sriracha crema and tamarind-plum-garlic sauce. Top with cilantro and pickled serrano chilli. Enjoy!
Join the conversation