- Season all sides of the beef with salt and pepper.
- In a hot pan, add 2 tablespoons of canola oil, place beef in pan and sear all sides until browned.
- Remove when internal temperature is 130 F, medium rare.
- Remove beef from pan and let rest for minimum 15 minutes.
(Best short cut alternative technique is to sous vide beef at 130F for 90 minutes before searing)
- Place all rice in a bowl and under cold water, run grains through your hands and loosely scrub, removing cloudy starch.
- In a pot, add water to just above the rice line, cook the rice on medium to high heat approximately 8 minutes until the top surface begins to bubble. Stir and turnover vigorously.
- Turn heat to low, cover and allow to cook approximately 10 minutes until nicely fluffed, stirring periodically.
(Rice cooker or InstantPot is a perfect short cut method to cook rice)
- Place all chimichurri ingredients into a mortar bowl.
- Squeeze the juice lime into mixture and all other ingredients.
- With a pestle, begin to pound out the mixture until it is thoroughly hand blended.
(As an alternative, you can use a processor which creates a much finer mixture)
- Wash whole beets thoroughly, peel if desired or leave skin on.
- Slice carefully with a mandolin, then chop all beets into thin matchsticks.
- Once done place in bowl and mix together.
- On a medium sized plate, scoop some cooked rice onto one side of plate, garnish with crushed walnuts and beet mixture.
- Slice rested beef into thin pieces, butterfly on other side of plate.
Join the conversation