- Preheat oven to 375F.
- On a large baking sheet, lined with parchment paper. Butter all slices of bread and place 2 pieces onto the baking sheet. Place 2 pieces of ham on top of the butter and top with a handful of Emmental cheese, try to fully cover the ham with cheese.
- Using the remaining pieces of bread, place them on top of the cheese to close the sandwiches. Now place the remaining two slices of cooked ham on top, followed by the rest of the cheese. Set aside until needed.
- To make the béchamel, using a small pot over medium to high heat. Melt the butter and cook until it starts to bubble and slightly brown approx. 1 minute. Slowly add the flour into the butter, continually whisking. The flour will start to clump. Once worked together and clumpy slowly add the milk and keep whisking until the béchamel is smooth and velvety in texture. Add the salt, pepper and nutmeg. Stir well and remove from heat until needed.
- Now to toast the sandwiches, place prepped bread into the oven and cook for 3-5 minutes or until the cheese is melting and slightly browning.
- Set the oven to broil and set on high.
- Remove the baking sheet from the oven and evenly spoon the béchamel sauce over the top of the sandwiches completely covering them.
- Place baking sheet into the oven and broil on high for 2-3 minutes or until the sauce and cheese are bubbling and staring to brown. Make sure to watch this as you don’t want to burn them. Remove from the oven once ready.
- In a medium sized frying pan over medium to high heat. Add the canola oil and crack both eggs and fry for approx. 2-3 minutes or until the whites set and yolks remaining soft. Place one fried egg onto each sandwich, garnish with chives and serve hot!
Join the conversation