Food can bring back some fond memories; Chef Nick Liu teaches us to make this delicious and nostalgic dish.
- Place a steamer with water on the stove on high heat and allow it to come to a boil. Tip – Make sure the water level is just below the steam tray. You do need a lot of water.
- Place brown sugar in a stainless steel bowl and add the hot water, stir until melted.
- Sift the flour with baking powder together and add the sugar water. Stir the batter well for 5 minutes.
- Pour and divide the batter into 4 foil cupcake moulds and wait for the steamer to come to peak steam before placing them inside to cook.
- When the steamer is ready, place the battered moulds evenly spaced into the steamer, cover with the lid and continue to
steam for around 20 to 25 minutes. Tip – Do not peek! Leave the lid on for the whole 20-25 minutes or the cakes will collapse.
- Turn off the steamer and remove the lid carefully. Place cakes on a cake rack to cool.
- Remove from mould and enjoy while they’re warm. Cut them into quarters and garnish with a cube of salted butter
Join the conversation