- 4 portions fresh lake pickerel (5oz portions)
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1 cup citrus segments (orange, lemon, and lime)
- 1/2 cup citrus juice
- Harissa paste to taste
- 1/2 cup seeded black olives
- 1/2 cup fresh mint
- 2 cups fine couscous
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 cup salted butter
- 1/2 cup finely chopped mint
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- Warm the chicken stock. Then in a large bowl mix the chicken stock, couscous, chopped mint, turmeric and ground cumin.
- Pour the couscous in a strainer, cover with foil and place over a pot of boiling water. Steam for 20 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and rub with your hands to break apart the couscous.
- Steam the couscous for another 20 minutes, and again remove and rub with your hands. Then repeat one more time.
- After the third time steaming the couscous, when you are rubbing the couscous with your hands, add in the melted butter and season with salt and pepper. Set aside and keep warm until ready to serve.
- In a large fry pan warm a table spoon of the olive oil. Gently sear the pickerel skin side down.
- Once golden, turn the pickerel skin side up and then add into the pan the citrus segments, citrus juice, black olives, fresh mint leaves and the remaining olive oil. Warm everything through and then remove from the heat and allow sitting for 3 minutes.
- Serve over the Moroccan couscous.
Join the conversation