Tip: Save leftover onions in fridge for up to 2 weeks. Use in sandwiches, on pizza or stirred into sautéed vegetables.
- In heavy-bottom pot or cast iron skillet over medium heat, melt butter; add onions, miso and sugar.
- Cook, scraping the bottom occasionally, until onions are browned, about 20 minutes.
- Stir in mustard.
- Transfer to container and stir vigorously until mixture comes together.
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Arrange salmon portions onto sheet pan; top each piece with a heaped spoonful of caramelized onions.
- Sprinkle panko on top.
- Bake until salmon is just cooked through, about 8-10 minutes. Top with sliced chives and serve immediately.
Join the conversation