- 2 pounds of large diced lamb sirloin
- 1 whole white onion sliced
- 1 tbsp grapeseed oil
- 3 roma tomatoes large dice
- 3 large white potatoes peeled, large dice and boiled.
- 10 dried apricots cut in half
- 1 tbsp of curry spice (preferable a sweet aromatic curry spice)
- Pinch of ground cardamom
- 1 tsp ground fresh ginger
- 2 cloves of garlic finely chopped
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 3 tsp coarse salt
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- Pinch of saffron
- ½ cup of toasted peeled pistachios
- ½ bunch of roughly chopped parsley leaves
- ½ cup tomato paste
- 2 cups of vegetable stock
- 3 tbsp spoon of cornstarch
- In a large container mix the lamb, olive oil, curry spice, salt, black pepper, cardamom, ginger, garlic, paprika and cinnamon. Cover and allow to marinate for 4 to 5 hours.
- Next heat the grape seed oil in a tagine over medium to high heat, add in the onions and gently brown. Then add in the marinated lamb and brown the meat. This could take 15 to 20 minutes.
- While the lamb is browning in a separate bowl, whisk together the vegetable stock, tomato paste, saffron and cornstarch.
- When the lamb is brown pour the veg stock mixture over the lamb, accompanied with the diced tomatoes, cooked potato and sliced apricots.
- Simmer covered for another 45 minutes, until the lamb is tender and falls apart. Garnish with the toasted pistachios and chopped parsley before serving.
Join the conversation