Chef Kareema Beckles shows us her Caribbean twist on the classic steak and eggs with this mouthwatering oxtail recipe. Cook up a delicious oxtail served with fried plantain hashbrowns for dinner, then spice up your leftovers the next morning for a hearty breakfast!
- 2 lbs oxtail chopped into small-medium chunks
- 1 cup butterbean/lima
- 1 tbsp oxtail seasoning/all purpose seasoning
- 1 tsp browning
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tbsp dark brown sugar
- 1 Maggi stock cube
- 1 cup onion sliced
- 1 cup bell pepper sliced
- 1/2 scotch bonnet pepper seeds removed, finely chopped
- 1 cup tomato diced
- 3 stalks scallion chopped
- 4 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 sprig thyme
- 1/2 tbsp ginger grated
- 2 tbsp ketchup
- 3 tbsp cooking oil
- hosin sauce
- 1 small lime
- 2 tbsp vinegar
Fried plantain hashbrowns
- Wash the oxtail in water with vinegar and lime juice. Drain away all the water, getting the meat as dry as possible.
- Season the oxtail with salt, oxtail/all-purpose seasoning, garlic, ginger, browning and scotch bonnet pepper. Mix the ingredients until the oxtail is completely coated with seasoning. **Marinate for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Add the cooking oil and the brown sugar to a heavy pot on high heat.
- Make the oil hot and let the sugar melt until dark brown, then add the oxtail. Sear the meat so that all sides are brown.
- Add water to the pot to cover the meat, cover with the lid and cook at for 2½ hours.
- Stir the oxtail often and make sure to add water to cover the meat and top it up each time it runs low. Check that the meat is soft and falling off of the bone.
- Continue cooking on medium-high heat. Add the onion, thyme, scallion, tomato, bell pepper, butterbean, ketchup, and Maggi stock cube.
- Cover the pot and let it cook for another 30 minutes. **If the meat is not as tender as you’d like it, cook it for another 15 minutes.**
Fried plantain hashbrowns
- Heat skillet, add oil to skillet. Fry Plantain until golden brown. Remove Plantain, drain on papertowel and put to the side.
- In the same skillet sautee the onions and peppers. Add the Plantain back to the skillet and mix together.
- Add the thyme, garlic and the dry seasonings. Stir until mixed well.
- Serve hot with your favorite breakfast sides.
- Spray the skillet with oil or your favorite cooking spray. Break 2 eggs into the skillet and fry them over medium heat until the whites are set, about 5 minutes.
- Season them with a pinch of salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
- Set the cooked eggs to the side on the plate.
Join the conversation