- 1 lb stew beef lean
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 carrots scrubbed well, peel left on, chopped
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/3 cup barley pot or pearl, rinsed
- 2 cups beef broth low sodium
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1/2 tsp iodized salt
- 1/2 tsp thyme leaves dried
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 cup frozen peas thawed
- Trim any excess fat from beef and cut any large pieces into smaller pieces.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook beef until browned (in 2 batches if necessary). Transfer to slow cooker.
- Add remaining oil to skillet, then add onions, carrots, and garlic. Cook a few minutes, until lightly softened.
- Stir in barley, broth, tomato paste, brown sugar, vinegar, salt, thyme and pepper. Bring to a simmer, then pour into slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low. 8 to 10 hours (or on high for 4 to 5 hours), until beef and barley are tender.
- Turn off slow cooker, stir in peas and let stand 10 minutes to heat peas.
Join the conversation