- 46 oz buttercup squash cut in half and seeds removed
- 1 tbsp canola oil cold pressed
- 1 onion diced
- 2 7-oz spicy sausage removed from casing
- 2 cups plum tomatoes chopped into 1-inch chunks
- 1 cup canned (unsalted) black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 tsp chipotle chili powder
- 1/4 cup monterey jack cheese grated
- Preheat oven to 375 F. Line a rimmed baking pan with foil. Set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, sauté onion in the oil until golden brown. Add sausage meat, breaking it up into small little pieces as it browns. Continue until cooked through.
- Add tomatoes, beans and chili powder and stir until combined.
- Place squash halves on the prepared pan. Divide the filling in half and heap into squash halves.
- Place a piece of foil over the top of the squash, wrapping loosely over the tops to cover.
- Bake for one to 1 1/4 hours or until the squash is tender. Remove from oven and remove foil. Sprinkle each half with two tablespoons grated cheese.
- Return to the oven and bake for five minutes or until the cheese has melted.
- Remove from oven and let sit for 10 minutes before serving.
Join the conversation