- In a small sauce pan, cover wheat berries with 1.5 – 2 inches (4-5 cm) of water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium low and simmer uncovered for 45 minutes. Drain and cool.
- For the dressing: in a small bowl whisk together oil, vinegar, honey, salt and pepper.
- For the salad: In a large bowl toss together the wheat berries, lentils, walnuts, green onion, and apple. Pour dressing over top and toss well. Serve.
Recipe created by: Erin MacGregor P.H.Ec RD
Photo by: Roberto Caruso
Professional home economist tip
Toasting any type of nut will enhances their flavour, but over-toasting may diminish or destroy the healthy fatty acid chains. Use untoasted nuts if desired or to properly toast:
- Place nuts in a frying pan on the stovetop over medium heat for 4-5 minutes, stirring frequently until lightly browned.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C) spread nuts in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet for 8-10 minutes.
Join the conversation