great pot, strainer
’tis the season for tomato sauce. Whether you’re a first timer or a seasoned pro, these two have all the tips and tricks. Frank & Randy, where do we start?
When to Keep the Skin on
- In a salad, or sandwich: the skin is what helps them stay together
- Slow roasting; if you remove the skin, they’ll melt away
Canning vs Freezing
- Freezing – faster, no cooking, good for small batches
- Canning – *may* keeper fresher taste, big batches a must
- 4 litres tomato flesh
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 8 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 10 sprigs basil
- In a large pot simmer tomatoes
- In a small pot roast garlic in olive oil until golden
- Strain oil into tomatoes add basil and salt, reduce until sauce like consistency
Join the conversation
What do you think?
This looks like a great, simple way to make tomato sauce. If you are like many people who are canning for the first time. Please research “Inversion Canning” which was demoed in this segment. Consider using pressure canning or hot water bath canning instead.
Hide the conversation