2 - 4 diners
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 1 large red onion chopped
- 1 green bell pepper diced
- 1 - 1/2 tsp cayenne or chili flake
- 2 whole large ripe tomatoes or 1 whole can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 1/2 cup sodium reduced veg broth
- 2 cups hot cooked brown rice
- 1/4 cup fresh curly parsley chopped
- TT salt
- TT pepper
- Garnish chopped cilantro
- For best spice blend, combine all spices in a spice grinder and blend.
- In a bowl, add ground protein and combine with spice blend. Mix thoroughly. With your hands, shape sausage pieces approximately 2’ x 1.’
- In large sauce pan or cocotte, add 1 tablespoon of oil. When oil is hot, sear sausage pieces on all sides until slightly browned. Remove sausage.
- In the same pan on medium heat, add remaining oil (do not clean pan). Add onion and bell pepper; cook, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes.
- Next, add garlic; cook for 1 minute. Sprinkle seasoning over vegetables; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes. Add sausage back into the pan.
- Next, add tomatoes followed by broth. Turn heat to high and bring pot/pan to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer uncovered 10 to 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender and sauce is slightly thickened.
- Garnish, option to serve with toast points.
Join the conversation