Wanting to style your hair, without applying heat? Michelle Finlayson from Schwarzkopf shows you how through a technique reminiscent of a technique used in the Victorian era called “rag curls”.
Instead of rags, use a bathrobe tie – and it’s easy! Here are the steps:
- Place the middle of the tie at the centre of your part (make sure it hangs evenly on each side, and is as long as the length of your hair).
- Apply a light spritz of setting spray or water throughout the lengths to prep it before wrapping.
- Wrap the hair around the tie starting at the top front (wrap away from the face – over to the back, then under to the front).
- The thicker the tie, the looser the wave so if you want a tighter curl you can use something thinner like a silk scarf. Make sure to keep the sections smooth and tight as you wrap, and add another section of hair as you come to the front each time.
- Secure the tips of the hair to the tie at the very bottom with a small elastic.
- Twist the entire section again away from the face up to tighten it up then secure by wrapping into a bun using the end of the tie or a scrunchie.
- Leave it in at least 3-4 hours – or overnight.
- Snip the elastics and remove the tie, gently one section at a time and style it.
- Loosen up the curls and add some texture spray and hairspray to finish.
Here is a video to show you step by step.
The curls will relax a bit after a day or two – depends on your hair type and how much spray you used.
Michelle’s hair after 1 day:
After 2 days: