Are you still pulling out that dusty old fall wreath you keep in the basement? You know the one with poke-y branches and plastic orange flowers? Well, I’m here to tell you to put it down! Put it down people and walk away.
I have something fresh for your fall door swag this year. This is something you can do even with a busy schedule. It’s that easy!
I love this time of year because the possibilities are endless – you can create swag with traditional colours or you can use colours that can match your home décor with fall elements.
Here is what you need to make your own fall door swag:
- meter stick
- pipe cleaners
- floral wire
- decorative mesh (10 inches by 19 ft)
- 2.5 inch wired ribbon
- floral stems and greenery
- decorative elements of choice (apples, signs, etc.)
- scissors or rotary cutter
- measuring tape
Step 1: Prepare meter stick
- Get meter stick and add pipe cleaners every 10-12 cm
- You most likely won’t be able to see the ruler through all the ruffles and embellishments once the swag is complete but if you prefer you can spray paint the meter stick in a colour that matches your theme
Step 2: Prepare the base ruffles
- To make curl ruffles, take your mesh roll measure and cut strips of mesh into 22-inch strips. Use two rolls – should end up with about 20 strips.
- Take a mesh strip and roll it about 2-3 times and secure it with a clip or clothespin to prevent the side from unrolling.
- Roll the other side of the mesh 2-3 times to form a second curl and pinch along the middle of the strip and secure with a pipe cleaner.
- Repeat with all strips then attach the ruffles to the meter stick
Step 3: Add flowers and greenery
- I always love a theme….and monochromatic is always chic.
- Add various artificial flowers and greenery to the swag by Attaching the stems into the middle of the stick using additional pipe cleaners.
Step 4: Attach sign and other elements
- Using floral wire and hot glue, attach your sign to the middle of the swag.
- Add decorative wired ribbon down each length of the swag.
- Start by pinching the ends of the two ribbons and twist them into the top of the swag using one of the pipe cleaners at the top.
- After you’re done just do a scan to make sure pipe cleaners aren’t sticking out and you’re done! Hang your swag and enjoy!
Join the conversation