Some of the best memories are made while eating and sharing delicious food during the holiday season. Everyone has their traditional festive dish they like to make, or their go-to appetizer to bring to the holiday potluck. Nothing quite beats a day spent outside in the cold and snow knowing that in the evening you’ve got a get together with family or friends to get to. But what are you going to bring? What are your friends going to make? How can YOU steal the show with something so delicious, everyone will be raving about it right up until next December.
Well for starters, you can get ready to take a screenshot of the recipe below so you can get a jump on the holiday shoppers and get those ingredients. And secondly, don’t tell anyone what you’re making because the surprise is often just as good as the food itself.
So, whether you’re celebrating with a gathering of friends and family, or just hanging in with a few loved ones this Fig Pear and peanut Bruschetta is the perfect holiday treat scene-stealer. And, National Peanut Day is January 26th , so to celebrate with even more great peanut inspired winter and holiday-themed recipes visit the Peanut Bureau of Canada at peanutbureau.ca
- 1 large peeled, cored and chopped Ripe pear
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) finely chopped dried figs (green or black)
- 2 tsp (10 mL) finely grated Ginger
- 2 Whole cloves
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) Unseasoned rice wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) Brown sugar
- black pepper to taste
- ¼ cup (60 mL) thinly sliced green onion
- ⅓ cup (75 mL) coarsely chopped Lightly salted peanuts
- 4 oz (113 g) Package of creamy goat cheese
- 16 toasted Baguette slices, homemade or store-bought
- Place pear, figs, ginger, cloves, vinegar, sugar and pepper in a small saucepan over low heat.
- Cover, stirring occasionally until pear and figs soften, about 2 minutes. Discard cloves.
- Compote can be made ahead to this point then refrigerated up to 2 days. Stir in green onion and peanuts just before serving if compote was made ahead.
- Spread about 1 tsp (5 mL) goat cheese over each baguette slice.
- Top with a heaping teaspoon (about 7 mL) of barely warm or room temperature compote. Serve immediately or cover loosely and refrigerate for up to 1 hour. Best served at room temperature.
Join the conversation