2 puddings in bowls (7 inch diameter)
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup suet (can sub butter)
- 2 1/2 cups brown sugar
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp all spice
- 4 eggs
- 4 cups breadcrumbs
- 2 cups sultanas (golden raisins)
- 2 cups raisins
- 1 cup currants
- 1 cup candied citrus
- 1 orange zest and juice
- 2 lemons zest and juice
- 1/2 cup almonds chopped
- 2 apples peeled, cored, and grated
- 1/2 cup whiskey
- 1/2 can stout beer
- In a bowl mix the sultanas, raisins, currants, candied citrus, citrus zest, citrus juice, and mix with the whiskey and stout. Leave to marinate for 24 hours.
- Butter the inside of your pudding bowl. Then cut a piece of parchment paper to the side of the inside bottom of the bowl. Place the parchment in the bottom and then butter the surface of the parchment.
- In a mixer beat the suet, butter, and brown sugar until soft. Then add the flour, baking powder, eggs, and all the spices. Once they are mixed well add the marinated fruit along with any liquid in the bowl. Also add the breadcrumbs, grated apple, almonds and mix well. The best way is to simply mix by hand.
- When everything is mixed well, it’s time to put your mix into your buttered pudding bowls. Fill the bowls to just below the rim. Make sure the top is pushed down flat. Then cut another piece of parchment and place it on the top of the pudding. Then wrap the top of the bowl with tin foil, making sure to cover the top and a third of the way down the outside of the bowl.
- Next is to steam the pudding. The best way to do this is to use a large tall pot. Put a small rack in the bottom of the pot. Then fill the pot with water to just cover the rack so, when you place the bowl on top of the rack it will be raised above the water. Place the pot on the stove and bring the water to a simmer. Then place the bowl on top of the rack inside the pot. Cover the pot and allow the simmering water to create a steamer. Continue to steam the Christmas pudding for 8 hours. Make sure to keep checking the water level in the pot. You will need to top up the water from time to time.
- When the pudding is done cooking you can serve immediately or cold and store for a later day.
Join the conversation