- 6 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 3 tbsp of your favourite Jerk seasoning (Walkerswood is my go-to, you can also make your own)
- 2 tbsp tomato ketchup (optional)
- 1 tsp chopped garlic
- 1 tsp chopped thyme
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- spring rolls (pre-made)
Rice and Peas
Rice and Peas
- Combine Coconut Milk and water in a 3 litre (3 quart) pot and bring to a boil.
- Add the scallion/green onion, thyme, Red Kidney Beans, salt and stir well.
- Stir in Rice and the whole scotch bonnet pepper (you want to make sure the pepper doesn’t burst) cover and bring to a boil.
- Once it’s started to boil, lower the flame, and allow rice to cook until grains are tender.
Serve hot with your favorite fish, chicken or meat and a nice salad (I like coleslaw). In my case, we will be cooling the rice down to go in the Spring Rolls.
- Combine all ingredients together in a bowl, mix well and let marinate in fridge for 4 to 24 hours.
- Cook chicken in oven at 375˚F for 30 mins, turning once. Chicken can also be cooked on the grill with medium heat turning often until done.
- Using pre-made spring rolls, lay the square-shaped shell on the table, turn it to have one corner facing towards you (like a diamond).
- Spoon a dollop of filling into the center of the shell.
- Take the bottom point of the diamond and roll over the filling.
- Take the left corner and fold halfway over the filling.
- Repeat with the right corner.
- Roll again.
- Dip the last corner in water or egg wash and roll one more time.
You can see Chef Kareema cooking up a storm at JerkFest’s 20th-anniversary celebration, which will take place virtually from August 6th – 8th. JerkFest is an annual event in Toronto, celebrating Caribbean food, culture, and community. You can find more information at JerkFestival.ca!
Join the conversation