It’s Fall on the west coast and that means it’s Dungeness crab season! Every time I travel to the west coast, I run to all my fav sushi spots! Here’s a fun fact about sushi! Did you know that the California roll was invented in Vancouver in 1971! In homage to that, here’s my fun take on the famous California roll but using of course real crab!
- 4 cups cooked white rice
- 2 tbsp seasoned rice vinegar
- 1 large avocado pitted, peeled & thinly sliced
- 2 Dungeness crabs steamed & meat removed
- 1/2 English cucumber finely diced
- 1 tbsp toasted black sesame seeds
- 1 tbsp toasted white sesame seeds
- 1 nori sheet shredded into small pieces
- 1/4 cup Tobiko
- 2 green scallions thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup fried shallots
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 3-4 tsp sriracha
1. Preheat BBQ to 375f (190c)
2. Using a large tin roasting pan, add approx. 1 inch of water and salt. Cover and bring water to a boil.
3. Reduce the heat to medium high and add the crabs to steam until the crab is cooked through, approximately 10-15 minutes.
4. Remove the crab and place in ice /cold water bath to prevent overcooking.
5. Using crackers or mallet, remove the crab meat from the body, in knuckles and legs and set aside in a bowl till serving.
1. In a small bowl, mix mayonnaise and sriracha sauce until evenly mixed. Set aside.
2. While rice is still hot, drizzle with rice vinegar and mix vinegar into the rice to season.
3. In your serving bowls, add 1 cup of rice, divide the crab meat and add to each bowl. Divide cucumbers and avocados evenly amongst the bowls. Garnish with black and white sesame seeds. Garnish with nori, tobiko, scallions, fried shallots and drizzle with sriracha sauce.
Join the conversation