- Simmer the apple cider with orange and spices
- Pour the apple cider into a 3-quart saucepan, cover, turn the heat on medium-high.
- While the cider is heating up, take a vegetable peeler and peel away a couple of thick strips of peel from the orange. Press about half of the cloves into the peeled part of the orange.
- Place orange, orange peel strips, the remaining cloves, and the cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, cardamom and brown sugar into the saucepan with the cider.
- Keep covered and heat the mulled cider mixture to a simmer and reduce heat to low.
- Simmer for 20 minutes on low heat.
- Strain out the orange and spices: Use a fine-mesh sieve to strain the hot mulled cider away from the orange, cloves, and other spices.
- If you want, you can add a touch of bourbon, brandy, or rum to spike it up a bit.
- Serve hot. Add a cinnamon stick to each cup if desired.
Join the conversation